Friday, December 4, 2009

The wonderful world of Google

I had heaps of fun exploring these applications. I knew about Google Books and iGoogle but hadn’t spent much time exploring them prior to this exercise. I use Google Maps regularly and find it to be a great resource.

Google Translate

This is a very useful application. I had an entertaining time translating various words and phrases and translating the State Library of Queensland website into French. Google Translate would be a useful tool in assisting clients from a multicultural background. I’m looking forward to using it next time I’m on the reference desk.

Google Books

I carried out some searches and spent far too long reading the results! One search was for "dogs" and The call of the wild by Jack London was one of the titles found.

iGoogle

I have previously set up my page so I added more gadgets to my page and changed the theme.

Google Calendar

I set up my calendar and added some entries. Libraries could place this application on their websites to advertise upcoming events such as author visits and training programs. The opening hours could also be incorporated into the calendar.

Google Maps

I love using Google Maps. I created a map showing the location of the CBD bookclub meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment